Saturday, April 3, 2010

Caves and Pastries

I'm in the middle of a very low-key weekend. Almost everyone in the program is traveling, including my roomate, so I have the room to myself. I'm having a glass of Albert Heijn brand Canernet sauvignon merlot. Albert Heijn is the big grocery store chain in the Netherlands. I don't have any plans for Easter- maybe I'll make an egg hunt for myself. I did decorate my window with some springtime decorations from Aunt Em- thanks so much for the care package! It made my day!

My friend Rose's dad is visiting her. Last night we got together with our friend Max and played cards for a while. Rose taught me her family's game of choice- Liverpool. I also play a lot of Spades and a new game I learned, Set Back. I always want to play Hearts but no one else likes it. I also get in the occasional game of Backgammon. I beat my friend Sarah pretty badly the other day. Sarah and maybe Rose know Cribbage but we don't have a board...

Last weekend our program took a trip to Maastricht. Here are a few pictures:




The other girl chomping on a delicious pastry with me is Rose. Those were Maastricht's signature pastry. We tried 3 varieties: cherry, apricot, and something similar to rice-pudding. We only stayed in Maastricht for one night, but we packed a lot of activity in. We went to a very nice dinner the first night, then a bunch of friends and I explored the nightlife. We had a really really nice hostel with a bar, pool table, and mini-restaurant. I got to know some people in my program on the trip who I otherwise hadn't spent much time with.

The next day we got up and took a boat to some man-made caves nearby. Here is a picture of that:

Then we walked back to our hostel through the country side. It was really nice to be in grass and see animals again after being in the city for so long.

Apart from this relaxing little vacation I've been pretty busy for the last couple weeks with school. I just wrote my first paper for a midterm in a class. I think it turned out pretty well. Then I had a presentation to give in the same class. Now it's time for me to start thinking about my final papers. I feel like I'm going to have a lot of work to do soon.

Tot zeins!

2 comments:

  1. Well Now,

    T'seems that all's good and that you've had some good gallivanting and flitting about. Paris and Maastrict, hmmmm...are you on a treaty tour or something? Either way, it looks like you're having fun. Keep your eye on the fares to Nuernberg, perhaps we can meet up before June.

    A.

    ReplyDelete