Tuesday, March 2, 2010

No Rain

It is a beautiful day in Amsterdam! Mid 40s and sunny, and most importantly, NO RAIN! My bike riding today was very pleasant, and I actually spent time outside chatting with friends. The past few weeks have been very very rainy and cold and generally pretty miserable weather-wise. It doesn't bother me too much, but I certainly welcome the sun.

The inevitable has happened. I fell off my bike. I was riding on the correct side of the bike lane, but a mother and her two children were coming towards me on a huge bike/child carrying contraption. I didn't think there would be room for both of us to pass, so I thought I would just go up on the curb. But I guess the angle of approach was unacceptable, and I fell. Slowly and embarrassingly, and in front of children. Slight wound to the knee, and small rip in my jeans. But I got back on my bike and rode to Dam Square like a champ. Other than that though, biking is becoming almost pleasant. I can turn now.

I finally made it to the Windmill brewery right next to our apartments. I went with my friend Sarah with the intention of just getting a beer, but ended up staying for a free tour. So now I have some beer knowledge. It's a great spot, and convenient for my cultivation of a taste for beer. I feel that I will be back for much beer sipping, peanut and cheese snacking, and card playing. Another new spot that I hope to frequent is a bar that Aram took me with pool tables upstairs and booths overlooking the street for prime people watching. It is conveniently located next to a nice looking Indian restaurant.

Sarah, my new friend Kasey, and I went to the Niet Normaal art exhibit near Dam Square yesterday. It was really interesting, but I wish that I could have read the Dutch explanations or had gotten the English audio-accompaniment. The art was in all forms- film, photography, walls full of little sticky notes and napkins with writing on them, sculpture, fake inventions... One of my favorites was the "non-traceptive": a "condom" that did DNA testing, and the tip would dissolve in the absence of genetic (or other) disease. There was also a video "documentary" of a fake disease in which metal hip replacements, etc would grow and eat away a persons body. Another movie was about disabled people riding in an airplane, one about an OCD and anorexic girl who only ate free samples of things. One about old women trying to hold on to their beauty and youth. Very eclectic.

I am about to go dye my hair dark brown. This is an attempt to dissuade myself from piercing my nose, which I'm sure would royally piss off my parents, but I'm mostly afraid of it leaving a scar. But if I'm ever going to do it, this is probably the only chance I'll have. Time is running out for youthful rebellion. Also, the blonde is growing out and starting to look goofy. I guess the jury is still out on a temporary nose piercing. Feedback is welcome.

4 comments:

  1. YOU GO GIRL getting back on the horse/bike!

    P.S. I'm having a similar dilemma with the piercing/dying hair/changing something soon. Thoughts that I've had = small tattoo, another hole in my ear, dying my hair or highlighting it with some strawberry blondish, dying it really dark, cutting it new and stylishly, or shaving my legs. All of these are still up in the air but something needs to be done soon.

    p.s. dye your hair first, then decide on the nose a little later. I fear a weird scar/bump on your nose if things go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. get your nose pierced. but i mean i guess you would expect this answer from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    I just spoke with Mom who threatened to shoot anyone who advocates you getting a nose ring. I guess that means any creative bodily mutilations, on which you decide, may not be influenced by anyone other than yourself. It's unlikely that Mom will shoot you for your own good, so I guess you'll have to work this out on your own.

    I suppose that I would not be overstepping my bounds, however, if I suggest that you get a few of those African lip plates and neck rings. Don't different cultures make life wonderful?

    As another purely cultural observation, I met a guy in NYC who had metal inlets surgically implanted in his skull into which he could screw a small set of demon horns. A few nicely placed facial tattoos and he became, through only a few minor lapses in judgment, unique. Perhaps you could do the same and screw in something more useful like eating utensils always at the ready or small torches you could set aflame and read by in dim light. Perhaps they could double as wifi antennae with matching USB ports coming out of your temples. THAT would be cool!

    I had a great time with you up there, although I was a bit disappointed by the Japanese food. Perhaps, next time, we could order something a bit more „off the beaten path,“ so to speak, than just straight sushi. At least the wine was good.

    I enjoyed our conversations very much, especially with "Venice of the North" as a backdrop. It's doubtful that I'll make it up there again before June, but you never know. Kami might not think my frequent travel tilts matters in her favor and I have no choice by to listen. She has developed mind control abilities not entirely unlike those of sirens of olde, drawing seafarers to the rocks. She's that cute.

    Sorry to hear that you have had a bout or two with gravity and bicycles. Don’t worry. In Amsterdam hazards can only come at you from ,say, twenty-five different directions at once. You'll be fine.

    Just don’t let any of them pierce your nose.

    .A (AKA HZ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nose piercing is not as permanent as it seems! I am also contemplating...

    My dad thinks nose piercings are "barbaric"- yet did not notice that micah has one for years...so, not as offensive as he thinks?

    p.s. Hi dad!

    ReplyDelete